Picture Number:10319845 Credit:Science Museum/Science & Society Picture Library
Coloured drawing (scale 1:4) made from information supplied by H J Lawson. This was the first rear-chain-driven safety bicycle, manufactured by H J Lawson in Brighton, Sussex in 1873-1874. It was designed to compete with the 'boneshaker' bicycle, which it resembles somewhat in terms of its construction. The wooden wheels were only 23 inches in diameter however, earning Lawson's bicycle the nickname 'the Sussex Dwarf'.